Want to take your BBQ skills up a notch this summer? The BBQ Cookbook is your go-to guide! Inspired by the movie, starring Shane Jacobson and Magda Szubanski, The BBQ Cookbook will ensure you’ll be sizzling too. Check out a free and delicious recipe extract below.
Moroccan butterflied lamb leg
- Prep time: 10 mins + 1 hour marinating + 30 mins standing
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Serves: 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.8 kg butterflied leg of lamb
- BBQ Flatbreads, to serve
Butterflying the lamb makes it cook more quickly. Because the thickness varies, there will be some parts medium-rare, others well done, and plenty in between. In other words, something for everyone.
- Combine the oil, garlic, ginger and spices in a shallow dish. Add the lamb and turn to coat in the marinade, rubbing it into the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight if you like.
- Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking and stand at room temperature.
- Prepare the barbecue for two-zone cooking and preheat to 190°C. Place a drip tray on the side without coals and add water. Put the cooking grate in place and wipe with oil.
- Cook the lamb directly over the coals with the lid down for 5 minutes on each side to sear it, then move to the indirect cooking side. Cover the barbecue, reduce the heat to 160°C and cook for 20 minutes, or until the meat temperature reaches 55°C at the thickest part.
- Transfer the meat to a board and cover with foil. Leave to rest for 15 minutes. Slice and serve with the flatbreads.
The BBQ Cookbook is available now from all good bookstores.
Posted on November 21, 2017 by
This entry was posted in ABC Books, cookbooks, Recipes and tagged BBQ tips, cooking, lamb, lamb recipe, Magda Szubanski, Moroccan butterflied lamb leg, recipe, Recipes, Shane Jacobson, The BBQ, The BBQ Cookbook. Bookmark the permalink.