We are delighted to announce the shortlisted titles for the First Nations Fellowship for 2019
- Julie Janson, Desert Lands
- Angie Martin, Melaleuca
- Melanie Saward, Barks and the City
Winner will be announced on Saturday the 10th of August
Commercial Fiction Fellowship for First Nations Writers Guidelines
Flinders University of South Australia, Harlequin— a division of HarperCollinsPublishers Australia — and Writers SA invite applications for a Commercial Fiction Fellowship for First Nations Writers.
In recognition of the scarcity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voices in Australian commercial fiction, this Fellowship offers a unique opportunity for a writer to work closely with a leading industry expert and a major publishing house to bring a commercial manuscript for a novel to publishable standard. Writers SA and Flinders University will offer additional mentorship and support.
The judging panel will consist of authors Karen Wyld and Dr. Jared Thomas, Jo Mackay of Harlequin, and Dr Amy Matthews of Flinders University.
Entry is open to all residents of Australia aged 18 years of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent (i.e. being of Aboriginal or Torres Islander descent, identifying as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person and being accepted as such by the community in which he/she lives, or formerly lived).
The Fellowship offers the opportunity for an emerging writer to
- Work with Jo Mackay, Publisher at HQ and MIRA, Harlequin, HarperCollinsPublishers Australia to develop their full manuscript (up to 30 hours from 1 August 2019 to 1 August 2020, to be arranged between winner and Publisher).
- Be granted Research Associate status at Flinders University from 1 August 2019 to 1 August 2020, with library access and the mentorship of a senior creative writing teacher and academic who specialises in genre fiction, Dr Amy Matthews. This may be taken up remotely, depending on the location of the Fellowship recipient.
- Attend a funded writing residency in South Australia offered by Writers SA.
- Receive a $3,500 stipend.
- The shortlist will be announced on Thursday 25 July 2019 and the winner will be announced on Wednesday 31 July 2019 by phone, email and/or mail.
Posted on August 2, 2019 by harlequinaustralia